Can I just say that this is one of the prettiest food pictures I've ever taken?!?
Anyway, quality time is spent in the kitchen baking things at my mom's house in Tennessee, so we worked on this pretty cake today. BUT, I made it gluten free and made sure to use coconut oil and coconut milk for the gluten free yellow cake mix instead of vegetable oil and milk. I didn't swap out the butter - I wasn't sure what would happen with something else. The original recipe can be found here.
Gluten Free Banana Coconut Upside Down Cake
1 box gluten free yellow cake mix (I used LiveGFree from Aldi's)
3-4 bananas, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Grease a large cast iron skillet.
3. Prepare the cake mix according to the box directions (this is where I used coconut oil and coconut milk instead of vegetable oil and dairy milk).
4. Slice the bananas and fill the bottom of the skillet with them.
5. Cook the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan until combined. Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture over the bananas in the skillet.
6. Sprinkle the coconut over the bananas, butter and sugar mixture.
7. Pour the yellow cake batter over the coconut.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until done and cake slightly browned.
9. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before flipping it over on to a serving dish.